Years and years ago I was given a First Line Challenge: Basically to identify the title and author of each of these books/stories. Some of them, I have to admit, I still haven’t identified.
So here are the first 10. If you know the book and author, leave it in the comments*
1. A column of smoke rose thin and straight from the cabin chimney.
2. Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and having nothing to do…
3. It was a dark and stormy night.
4. 1801-I have just returned from a visit to my landlord…
5. Mr. Jones of Manor Farm had hocked the henhouses for the night, but was too drunk to remember to shut the popholes.
6. Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin.
7. The Mole had been working hard all morning, spring-cleaning his little home.
8. He came into the world in the middle of the thicket…
9. When I left my office that beautiful spring day, I had no idea what was in store for me.
10. The primroses were over.
(FWIW, for two of these I don’t know the correct answer. Seriously. But I’m not going to tell you which two to keep you honest.)
Have fun. It’s Friday…
*I’m trying to think of some sort of prize for the person who gets the most first, but that would be really hard to judge, and I don’t have much to give away other than copies of my books, and I don’t know if you’d want that as a prize anyway….